An Initial License requires passing scores on the appropriate MTEL exam and completion of a DESE-approved educator preparation program. An Initial License is valid for five years of employment and may be extended once, for five years. After that time, an educator is required to advance to a Professional License. Any new application for an Initial License for core academic teachers, supervisors/directors and principals/assistant principals requires the Sheltered English Immersion Endorsement.
An educator may apply for a Professional License only after completing three years of employment under an Initial License in the same field. Time spent employed while working under a Provisional, Temporary License or a waiver does not count toward obtaining a Professional License. In addition to the three years of employment under the Initial License, an educator must have completed a district induction and mentoring program, and additional advanced study in the field. Please check specific requirements at www.doe.mass.edu/licensure.
LICENSE RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS
All professional educator licenses must be renewed every five years. Before applying to renew a Professional License, it is important to verify that all requirements have been completed.
- Documentation of 150 Professional Development Points (PDPs) for a primary license, Documentation of 30 PDPs for each additional license.
- An Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP).
- Educators who are employed in the role of the license must obtain appropriate administrator signatures.
- Completion of paper-based or online application for license renewal.
- Payment of any applicable fees. Educator licensure regulations approved by the BESE in June 2017 include the following:
- Changes in the distribution of PDPs required for both primary and additional licenses.
- Changes to how an educator can use the Educator Plan to satisfy the approval of the IPDP requirement for some or all of the PDPs applied toward renewing a Professional License.
Educator Licensure and Individual Professional Development Plant Folder IPDP